- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 cups all-purpose four
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies (hint: use food processor)
- White Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Peppermint Sticks
2. Spray 2 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick spray (I sprayed and lined each one with a coffee filter).
3. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in peppermint extract.
4. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, alternately with cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream and crushed peppermint candies, just until combined.
5. In medium bowl, beat egg whites in high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
6. Spoon batter evenly into the prepared pans
7. Bake 26-28 minutes** or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire racks.
9. Wrap each in heavy duty plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
10. Using serrated knife, cut each layer horizontally to make 4 layers.
11. Place layer, cut side down, on a cake plate
12. Spread with 1/2 cup White Chocolate Frosting.
13. Repeated with the three remaining layers.
14. Spread top and sides with frosting, garnish with peppermint sticks.
**Cooking time took about 7 minutes longer for me. I couldn't get that middle done!
White Chocolate Frosting
* 8 ounces White Chocolate
* 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* 3/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 9 cups powdered sugar
1. In medium bowl, combine White Chocolate and cream. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate in melted and smooth (about 1.5 minutes total). Let cool completely
2. In large bowl, combine chocolate mixture with butter and beat at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy. Add vanilla, beating until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.