Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream


This is a recipe back from my days at Oregon State--in my Food Science Class (I was a dietetics major). It's cold and rainy here today and it makes me yearn for fall! Autumn is my most favorite cherished time of the year. I can't explain it, I just love it so much. When you have an abundance of squash on hand (or when I happily shop at my local Farmer's Market next month) come back to this recipe. It's interesting and yummy.

Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream
Oregon State University Food Science Class

-2.5 lbs Butternut Squash
-5 Tbsp Butter
-2 cups Leeks
-1/2 cup Carrots
-1/2 cup Celery
-2/3 cup Sour Cream
-2 small Granny Smith Apples
-1.5 tsp dried Thyme
-1/2 tsp dried Sage Leaves
-5 cups Chicken Broth
-1.5 cups Apple Cider
-1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
-1/2 cup fresh Chives (for garnish)

1. Peel, seed and cut Butternut Squash into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Chop Leeks, Peel & Chop Carrots, Chop Celery, Peel, Core & Chop Apples, Crumble Sage Leaves, Chop fresh Chives.
3. Melt Butter in Large Saucepan over Medium Heat, Add squash, onions, carrot and celery; sauté until slightly softened, about 15 minutes
4. Mix in Apples, Thyme and Sage. Add Chicken Broth & 1 cup Cider and bring to Boil.
5. Reduce Heat to Med-Low. Cover and simmer until apples are tender, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).
6. Cool slightly
7. Working in batches, puree soup in blender and return to pan.
8. Boil remaining 1/2 cup cider in small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 mintues) and let cool.
9. Place Sour Cream in a small bowl, whisk in reduced cider.
10. Bring Soup to simmer, mix in heavy whipping cream.
11. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with cider cream and top with chives.




This recipe can be made the day before up to #9. Just store both items in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Julia said...

This really looks great. I love squash!

Janine said...

Oh, this sounds so good. I may have to try this!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed